Sunday, April 21, 2013

My Own Faith Puzzles Me


How do you expect me to believe in something that is not there? Something that is not tangible? How do you expect me to believe our past when our past sounds like a fairytale? How do you expect me to love God if God does bad? How do you expect me to believe that we’re the Chosen People if our people has gone through endless torture in its existence? How do you expect me to have faith in God? 

I didn’t choose to be Jewish. I didn’t sign away my religious rights at conception, giving my permission to be born into a Jewish life. If this isn’t a life I chose, I should have the right to do whatever the hell I want to do. 

What is Davening anyway? Why does God need to hear the same thing three times a day, every single day? Why do we learn Talmud? What does it do for us? If we don’t have strong faith to begin with, what will additional learning do? 

Why must I be Jewish? 

There are so many reasons why I should hate being who I am. There are so many reasons why I should run away from this religion. There are so many reasons why I should feel like my free will has been violated. 

So why do I love being Jewish? 




No comments:

Post a Comment